I’m Kerstin and I love all things calm and serene, as well as anything that sparkles and makes me giggle. I’m creative, mindful, playful, caring and carefree. While I have always been caring, I was not always carefree or happy…
After burning out twice, I decided to make some new choices and listen to my own Heart Song. At first, all I could hear were the sighs of my exhausted body and the churning of my fear-filled thoughts. Then I learned how to gently hold my heart as it slowly opened and released my defrosted dreams – and with it my Heart Song.
Its tune led me to study with Martha Beck to become a certified life coach, and I am now living my dream of contributing to people’s healing and living a much more balanced and happier life. As Mark Nepo in The Book of Awakening so beautifully writes: “Begin with risk and land in trust.” It is not always easy to follow your Heart Song – and I sometimes still can get sidetracked – but it is so worth it.
Credentials, Experience, Approach and more
- I am a Martha Beck certified life coach (Martha Beck is a well known American life coach, whose regular feature in the O magazine you may have come across and whom you may have seen on the Oprah show or more recently on OWN). This means that I am trained to use a variety of tools and methods to support the unfolding of your journey towards your right life and happiness.
- I have also been trained by Judy Klipin (a Martha Beck Master life coach) how to coach adults who generally feel overly responsible (more adult like) but also completely vulnerable and overwhelmed (more childlike), because of shared limiting beliefs they have developed during a less than perfect childhood. Through Judy’s training, I am able to coach such ‘adult children’ find new ways to relate to the world and others which brings new choices, freedom and happiness.
- I am currently participating in the “Creative Grief Coaching” certification programme offered by Cath Duncan and colleagues.
OTHER RELATED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor in Fine Art (University of Cape Town)
- Honours in Psychology (University of Stellenbosch)
- Masters in Research Psychology (University of Cape Town)
- Short Courses: Art therapy (South African College of Applied Psychology); Play therapy (Gestalt Institute); Jungian Psychoanalytical theory (Jungian Institute, Zurich)
There are many, many different theories and styles of life coaching. What I like about Martha Beck’s life coaching approach is that her life coaching approach:
- makes use of the latest research in human behaviour, methods in Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP),
- draws on several Eastern philosophical concepts,
- adds a healthy dose of humour and spirituality, and
- grounds her work in her own life experience.
At the heart of Martha Beck’s coaching philosophy is the assumption that we all already know in our hearts what our ‘right life’ is and how to find happiness. This knowledge may however have been pushed aside or forgotten because of fear, the need to meet others’ expectations, self sabotage and/or limiting beliefs.
Kerstin Waddell is not a licensed health professional and you will not be able to claim coaching session fees back from your medical aid. Kerstin adheres to the code of ethics for Martha Beck coaches.
Kerstin Waddell is a Martha Beck certified life coach based in Cape Town, South Africa.
“Be like the bluebird who never is blue,
For he knows from his upbringing what singing can do.”
– Cole Porter, Be Like the Bluebird, 1934