Lovely to meet you! My name is Kerstin and I love all things calm and serene, as well as anything that sparkles and makes me giggle. I can be creative, mindful, playful, caring and carefree. While I have always been caring, I was not always carefree or happy…
After burning out twice, I decided to make some new choices and listen to my own Heart Song. At first, all I could hear were the sighs of my exhausted body and the churning of my fear-filled thoughts. Then I learned how to gently hold my heart as it slowly opened and released my defrosted dreams – and with it my Heart Song.
Its tune led me to study with Martha Beck to become a certified life coach, and I am now living my dream of contributing to people’s healing and living a much more balanced and happier life.
It is not always easy to follow your Heart Song – and I sometimes still can get sidetracked. I’m continuously discovering more and more about the complexities of my being – and my fellow human beings – (untangling myself layer by layer from limiting beliefs and out dated habits), as well as learning how to love wholeheartedly after the loss. This is what I love most about my work: I have to “live it to give it”.
Credentials, Experience, Approach and More
- I am a Martha Beck certified life coach (Martha Beck is a well known American life coach, whose regular feature in the O magazine you may have come across and whom you may have seen on the Oprah show or more recently on OWN). This means that I am trained to use a variety of tools and methods to support the unfolding of your journey towards your right life and happiness.
- I have also been trained by Judy Klipin (a Martha Beck Master life coach) how to coach adults who generally feel overly responsible (more adult like) but also completely vulnerable and overwhelmed (more childlike), because of shared limiting beliefs they have developed during a less than perfect childhood. Through Judy’s training, I am able to coach such ‘adult children’ find new ways to relate to the world and others which brings new choices, freedom and happiness.
- I am also certified in the “Creative Grief Studio” Grief Support . This approach to grief support is based on the latest research on grief and loss and what techniques are best to support a person with grief and loss of all types, helping clients re-connect with their own resilience.
OTHER RELATED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor in Fine Art (University of Cape Town)
- Honours in Psychology (University of Stellenbosch)
- Masters in Research Psychology (University of Cape Town)
- Short Courses: Art therapy (South African College of Applied Psychology); Play therapy (Gestalt Institute); Jungian Psychoanalytical theory (Jungian Institute, Zurich)
There are many, many different theories and styles of life coaching. What I like about Martha Beck’s life coaching approach is that her life coaching approach:
- makes use of the latest research in human behaviour, methods in Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP),
- draws on several Eastern philosophical concepts,
- adds a healthy dose of humour and spirituality, and
- grounds her work in her own life experience.
At the heart of Martha Beck’s coaching philosophy is the assumption that we all already know in our hearts what our ‘right life’ is and how to find happiness. This knowledge may however have been pushed aside or forgotten because of fear, the need to meet others’ expectations, self sabotage and/or limiting beliefs.
Martha Beck is a writer and Life Coach pioneer who specialises in Life Design – helping people design satisfying and meaningful life experiences. Her non-academic books include the New York Times’ bestsellers, Expecting Adam and Leaving the Saints, as well as Finding Your Own North Star: Claiming the Life You Were Meant to Live; Steering by Starlight; and Finding Your Way in a New Wild World. Martha has also been a contributing editor for many popular magazines, including Real Simple and Redbook, and is currently a columnist for O, the Oprah Magazine. More information about Martha Beck can be found at www.marthabeck.com.
Judy is a Martha Beck Master Coach based in Johannesburg, South Africa, and the author of Life Lessons for the Adult Child. Find out more about Judy at www.judyklipin.com or www.stellarlifedesign.co.za.
Kerstin Waddell is not a licensed health professional and you will not be able to claim coaching session fees back from your medical aid. Kerstin adheres to the code of ethics for Martha Beck coaches.
Kerstin Waddell is a Martha Beck certified life coach based in Cape Town, South Africa.
“Be like the bluebird who never is blue,
For he knows from his upbringing what singing can do.”
– Cole Porter, Be Like the Bluebird, 1934