In the February 2017 Happy Notes, I explore what it may mean to live an untamed life. What have you given up on as a result of your domestication?
Some of you responded, voicing a concern about the need for balance: What if untamed = crazy?
It must be said that what may be crazy to some is unconventional and even extraordinary for others. But once we release ourselves from the rules of boxes and other limiting shackles, what reference can we use to make sure we are indeed not crazy? That our choice is not to our detriment?
It seems that to be untamed requires the ability to connect with your inner wisdom – listening to your gut, your heart. This in turn needs stillness, courage and daring. Brene Brown, an advocate for living a wholehearted life, recommends cultivating the following 10 qualities:
- Authenticity – and letting go of what people think
- Self Compassion – ad letting go of perfectionism
- A Resilient Spirit – and letting go of numbing and powerlessness
- Gratitude & Joy – and letting go of scarcity thinking and a fear of the “darker” emotions
- Intention & Trust – and letting go of the need for certainty
- Creativity – and letting go of comparison
- Play & Rest – and letting go of letting go of exhaustion as a status symbol and productivity as self worth
- Calm & Stillness – and letting go of anxiety as a lifestyle
- Meaningful Work -letting go of self doubt and ‘supposed to’
- Laughter, Song & Dance – and letting go of being cool and ‘always in control’
(Source: Brene Brown, 2010, “The Gifts of Imperfection, Let go of who you think you’re supposed to be and embrace who you are”)
Maybe it is time to bring in some more crazy into your life?